Friday, October 21, 2011

Holiday in the Sun

More and more I believe Israeli's are some of the craziest people I have met. It is a guaranteed great time when you are in Israel, and I understand exactly why I feel at home here - because I'm crazy too. I spent the past few days out of Netanya and in Tel Aviv and in the North. I went out to clubs both nights in TLV, first YaYa who was having their last night of the season. Amy, Anna, and I went and danced until they kicked us out around 3 am. We proceeded to an amazing sandwich stand where somehow we convinced the sweet 19 year old sandwich maker to give it to us for practically free. Tastes even better that way! The next night I went to a Merhav Yarkon, which used to be a police department. Danced the night away again and had an amazing time. 

The next day was the return home of Gilad Shalit. I wrote about it in my last entry, but I also mentioned I didn't want to jinx anything. There is still the chance for a jinx because only half of the Arabs have been released, and we never know what they will do. However, he IS home with his family. I watched the news all morning and witnessed his long process of getting home. Even though he was only being help captivate 9 km away in Gaza, they first had to bring him to Egypt for reasons I am not positive of. I watched a terrible interview done with Egyptian media that he was forced into. Of course it is all in Hebrew and luckily I have friends who are able to translate for me. All I can think is how this all is for him. He was in a basement for five years, things do not just go back to normal after that. He was in good health besides his sun deficiency and all the weight he lost, but he did tell his mom that his last two years he was treated well - whatever that means. I pray for him and his family and friends still because this will be a long recovery process. I am SO happy he is home and so happy I can be in Israel to experience it as an Israeli is. Also that day, Amy and I discovered the most delicious hummus restaurant with the best service in Israel. This is shocking because customer service in this country is useless, I would say a 1 on a scale of 10. I will hopefully be going back there again very soon! That night the three of us girls plus two of Anna's friends from home in Chicago started our adventure to "Neverland." We were going to Neverland Electronic Music Festival near the Kinneret. The location of the music festival stays a secret until an hour before it begins, then you have to call a phone number that gives you directions. Sketchy, I know, but totally worth it. It was pitch black when we got there and setting up our broken tent was nearly impossible until our nice neighbors, Tal and Naor, helped us set up our little home. They connected our tent with their roof made of tapestries and let us sit on their mats. Thank goodness for them! 

Not many people had arrived when we did, so we just hung out at home base for a while. When we got antsy we migrated to one of the two music tents and the 50 people inside were dancing like wild Indians to intense Dubstep. From then on it was party central. No one slept, we watched the sun come up, danced, made friends, and flat out had an amazing time. It was exactly like a 24 hour Coachella, except worse music and all Jews :)

It was so fun to be a part of it and be one of very little Americans at an event like this. I love that I get to experience stuff like this. When I think about going home, I think of how strange it will be to walk into a bar, grocery store, mall, etc. and NOT be surrounded by Jewish people. It will be so strange to start my work week on a Monday and not a Sunday anymore. It will be weird when everything is open on Shabbat and every other Jewish holiday. All these things are what I am loving about living in this country. I am loving that every person I meet tells me how happy they are that I am here. I am entering my real job here, teaching English, with such a positive attitude and such a fun month and half behind me. I couldn't ask for anything more! Well, I could pray that my family comes to visit me :)

L'hitraot!

No comments:

Post a Comment