Sunday, November 13, 2011

So much Hummus...I'm turning into a Chick Pea.

I have NO complaints in the Israeli food department. I mean, who on earth dislikes authentic Mediterranean cuisine? But the time has come to pump the breaks on the hummus intake. Israeli chocolate is another one of those things I may have to buy an extra suitcase to fill on the way home. It is irresistible in this country, as well! You can't go wrong with shwarma, pita, harif, tehina, salat, the occasional falafel, shakshuka, matbuka, sabeech.....ahhh......

To add to my glorious eating escapades, my last Shabbat was top notch in the food department. The lovely Amy Zitelman is lucky enough to have her mother in Israel right now. They, again, invited to stay the weekend in Jerusalem at their apartment. Her mother is a co-founder of the Women's Renaissance Program. An amazing organization that allows Jewish Mom's to experience birthright for themselves. The goal is to bring them to their homeland for eleven days, learn about their heritage, bring it home and implement it into their family's lifestyle. This Shabbat brought all the groups together from LA, Ottawa, Seattle, etc. at Aish HaTorah (a seminary right at the Kotel/Wailing Wall - stunning building). Mrs. Zitelman asked Amy to choose five friends to bring to this dinner of 150 women to speak about our experiences with Israel previous to the program we are doing now and our present situation. Also, how we feel about being here and the country in general, and how our parents feel about us being away from home so long in a country that is consistently being threatened by it's neighbors. For me it is easy to answer each and every question. 
     My first time in Israel I was eighteen. I was on the ten day birthright trip with my older sister. She made all the plans and I tagged along, not really knowing that traveling would impact me or make me feel any certain way. Getting off the plane and being welcomed into the country with a "Welcome HOME" took my breath away. I continued to feel like I belonged, like maybe I had been here before? There was no words, it just felt right. I came again to learn at Neve Yerushalyim (a girls seminary in a very Orthodox/religious neighborhood in Jerusalem) for about a month during my Sophomore year of college. Again, I felt comfortable. I had more culture shock leaving and returning home than being in Israel. I realized more how much I stood behind my faith and how important Judaism and the State of Israel was to me. These two experiences prompted the easy decision to live here for ten months after college. I didn't think twice before submitting my application for this program. I knew I would enjoy myself and that I would always cherish my time living in a place I always called home anyway. I know my parents worry sick, that's besides the point. They understand how I feel, how my sister feels, and how our whole family feels about Israel. It is in our blood to be Zionistic, to want to support our "home." Yes, my parents miss me and I miss them, but this was something I had to do. I am who I am today because of my parents' support in everything that I do. 

So these were my answers. I encouraged these women to keep in touch with me and to pass my information along to their kids. I am more than happy to be a poster child for Israel.

My upcoming two weeks is more than something to look forward to. There is a jam-packed seminar from Wednesday to Saturday for all Israel Pathways participants to learn about Israeli Society. The itinerary is incredible. Then Saturday - off to Barcelona for a week!!!

Besosss xx!

Jewish Women's Renaissance Program: http://www.jwrp.org/

*On Shabbat we do not take pictures or use any form of technology, it is the ultimate day of rest. Therefore, this post has no pictures. Use your imagination :)

No comments:

Post a Comment