Tuesday, December 27, 2011

חופש

A visual description of the Judean Desert.
As an American, freedom comes easy. Physical freedom, mental freedom, financial freedom, any freedom that one may lack, I feel we have full advantage of in the U.S. I feel that everything I do or have done up until this point in my life has completely been my choice. I have chosen to be the person I am, travel to the places I have traveled to, eat what I want, read what I want, go to university, have a Facebook account and a blog, and so on. As Americans we forget that not everyone around the world has these same freedoms. That they live under governments that choose their lives and their limits. This weekend was out Freedom Seminar in (the beautiful) Ein Gedi and Judean Desert. I had been anxiously awaiting this weekend because I haven't been to places like Masada and the Dead Sea in four years. Again, breathtaking. Again, a reminder of how amazing Israel is. The history that is Israel, the stories, the people that walked these deserts and discovered this land. It's all almost unbelievable.

Feeling a natural high.
Teaching in Netanya doesn't provide many outdoor activities unless at the beach, so doing this was an amazing change of scenery. I also love getting together with the other Israel Pathways participants that we really only get to see once a month. We stayed at the Ein Gedi youth hostel. Our first day we hiked Nahal Mishmar. This is by far the most beautiful, fun, and rejuvenating hike I have ever been on. The energy it infused in me was better than the cup of coffee I drink every morning. The still quietness of the Judean Desert is nonexistent in my day to day life. You can listen to your own breath and your thoughts so clearly. It was something I think everybody needed. I was challenged to climb up higher boulders and shimmy my way across very steep and narrow cliffs to get to the other side. The challenge felt good, overcoming it felt even better. Five hours later the hike ended, I only wanted to continue.

Challenging and invigorating. Choose this path if you dare!
That night we had a not so great guest speaker. I wish I could share her name or what she talked about, but I have no idea. That was it for the night, and I slept like a rock. The next day we were given the option to hike early up the snake trail to the top of Masada or go about an hour later and take the cable car up. Because I had such an amazing time the previous day, I opted to do the Snake Trail hike. Only forty-five minutes, but ALL uphill. This one was much harder for me, but again I did it! And I felt great. Our Madrichim (directors) shared with us what Masada meant for them. Masada is another one of the incredible and historical stories that holds a special significance for the Jewish People and the Land of Israel. But we have all heard it before (thank you birthright) and we wanted to experience Masada in a new way. Learning what significance it held with individual Israeli's was a really unique way to deliver the story of Masada. I loved it. Straight to the Dead Sea Spa for some mudding, floating, and lunch! Just like every tourist visiting Israel, we caked ourselves in the special mineral filled mud of the country and slowly waddled our way into the saltiest and lowest point of the earth. The Dead Sea is something fascinating. No creature can survive in it because of the amount of salt and the are amazing little salt glaciers covering the floor. But float in for fifteen minutes and walk out with the most exfoliated, softest, freshest looking skin. It heals cuts and wounds. It is just magical. We had the most perfect weather this weekend to top it all off, so the water was the most beautiful shades of blue and turquoise. It was our private island it felt like. (No pictures, my hands were too muddy!)

Waterfall at Nahal David.

We did a small Shabbat Service followed by dinner and then a dance party. Two birthdays were in the house so some of us got together with some drinks and music. I'm a granny and made it back to my bed by midnight, but I was ready for the following day and our second optional hike. I slept in until eleven am...like I didn't need it or something? And a big group of us just walked next door to the beautiful and easy hike up Nahal David, a nature preserve. There were beautiful waterfalls and strange/cute animals. It was breathtaking, the mountains surrounding us and the Dead Sea off in the distant. I was still crushing on the  beauty of Israel, it's not something you can get over too quickly.

We closed up the weekend with a summary of what freedom means to us, to Israel, to Judaism, and to the world. It's funny that this topic was for a group of Americans, but then I realized how good it was to reflect on it. We take it for granted. We have no idea how lucky we are. We try to help countries adopt a Democractic Government, yet no one's Democracy is anything like ours. There are many reasons for this and Israel is a good explain. Israel, Americas friend/ally, is Democratic to a degree...but it is NOT America. There are Arab-Israeli's living here who are not nearly free. There are Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza who are not either. They abide by very specific rules just because of the location of their homes. They can not drive on certain streets, live in certain neighborhoods, and they have a curfew. This is not free, but this is Israel. Many people can disagree with me about the level of freedom Americans have compared to other places in the world, and that is fine, but I AM grateful to be American. And I AM grateful to be Jewish. I have many doors open for me for these two simple and genetic reasons. I am where I am today because of these reasons. It is a blessing to say the least. 


A beautiful tree at the Ein Gedi Youth Hostel.

CHANUKAH in NETANYA

Latkes hear are called Levivot and they are not a popular Chanukah treat (depressing). Sufganiyot are jelly-filled donuts and these, however, are a popular treat for the holiday and I have definitely eaten my fair share. Chanukah in Israel is not nearly as big a deal as other holidays. People continue to work and university students go to class. There are parties and Chanukiah (menorahs) in the windows, but normal life continues throughout the eight days. The most interesting part of it all, I completely didn't realize it was Christmas until about 4 pm on the 25th. What a weird feeling! The other night all of our group went over to Shomy's (our director) house. His family is amazing. The made us the most delicious meal - I'm still full two days later. Yesterday I finally did get to eat Latkes. I spent the day in Ramat Gan and Even Yehuda visiting friends. I'm sad tonight the Chanukah festivities and meals are ending after tonight! I can't say I had a bad time though...

Merry Christmas to all those back home. Happy Chanukah to everyone. And I wish the happiest New Year to all!!!

xoxo, L'hitraot

No comments:

Post a Comment