Friday, September 9, 2011

English Teacher in Training

With a whole week of English Teacher Training under my belt, I have quite a bit to share! We take a nice charter bus every morning at 9 a.m. to Seminar Hakibbutzim. It is a gorgeous college campus in Tel Aviv. Our madrichot pedogogi (teachers) are incredible. These woman are so smart and speak amazing English. The days are very long, from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. We do two or three lectures in the morning and then workshop type activities in the afternoon. The teachers have instilled a very realistic idea of the Israeli classroom and what we will most likely encounter with the Israeli students. Very different from an American classroom, the kids show little respect and run wild. This will not be easy, there may be days it's not fun, but the experience has none other to compare to. My plan is to not have any expectations of what the classroom or kids will be like. Instead I plan to finish out the training and continue to take it all day by day.

Our group is finally complete! Everyone has made it here safely, even my roommate :) We get along great and we have the same name, but her is spelled "Ellana." Certain people are forming stronger friendships than others. I have been able to enjoy long days at the beach and fun nights out in TLV with the people I have gotten closer to. And NO, I am not sick of the beach yet. In fact, I just got back and it is still just as beautiful as it was last weekend!

Me with the Mayor of Netanya, Miriam Feirberg Ikar.

Since I last wrote, I have had a beautiful Shabbat dinner hosted by our directors' family. I have met the Mayor of Netanya, Miriam Feirberg Ikar (and her very, very handsome body guard). She was the first woman to be a Mayor in Israel! My friend Amy and I were taken on a surprise double date to a karoake bar (no Mom, we did NOT fall in love). We went as a group to the grand opening of KIKA, the Austrian version of Ikea where Ellana and I got curtains and rugs. I have been indulging in bourekas, beer, sabeekh, hummus, and pita. And I have spent a night at a friend of a friend's awesome apartment in TLV. All of this was done with an on-going, growing love for Israel. If I had to make a prediction about the next 9 1/2 months, I would say it is going to be insanely fun. Still happy as ever and learning more and more Hebrew everyday! My newest phrase: Tenli M'od Nahshi'kot - Give me more kisses! (But I haven't actually used that one yet).
Anna, Alana, Amy, Amy, Jenette - Out in TLV


No comments:

Post a Comment