Monday, September 19, 2011

How Can I Explain This?


It's my life now. I wake up to an alarm, brush my teeth, put on my clothes, pack my lunch, get on the bus, and head to school. It's no different than the life I had lived back home. The thought of this and the act of it are different. When I think about it, I'm shocked that it is actually possible to live a normal day-to-day life so far from "home." When I do it though, it's completely natural.

Jerusalem, right out the Jaffa Gate.

The Western Wall.
My weekend in Jerusalem was better then I could have ever imagined. We stayed at Amy's family's apartment, absolutely stunning. There was a total of 9 of us and we each were able to sleep comfortably. The first night we went out to eat dinner on Ben Yehuda Street. An amazing area with so much cultural and a lot of English speakers. A few of us ate at Burgers Bar - mmmm. The rest of the night was wine, vodka, whiskey, and relaxation. The apartment building has a wonderful rooftop overlooking the area of Jerusalem. From the rooftop you can here different areas celebrating different events, weddings, birthdays, even simple prayer.

The next day we walked in the Old City. We reached the Kotel (aka The Western Wall, aka The Wailing Wall). It was the first time in two years since I have been there. The experience is still just as powerful. It is the most holy place for a Jew to go and talk, touch, and breathe in God. The power after you feel the Wall under your fingertips is not something that any blog or writer can express. Every person is there for a different reason. To my left a women crying uncontrollably as she prays, to my right a tourist snapping numerous pictures of all the notes to God shoved in the cracks. Moments like those are when I am remember how special my heritage is.

   
Roasted Veggies heading into the oven. Mmmm.
The "shuk" was the next stop. The shuk is the marketplace. Basically think of a farmer's market on crack, especially in the few hours leading up to Shabbat. Everyone is running around getting last minute ingredients for the perfect meal and flowers to bring over to loved ones' homes. The group of us split up and used the menu we had created in the morning to buy all of our necessary ingredients. There are many, many pictures of the process and the results, but
this is was the final list of our FABULOUS Shabbat meal:


-Walnut, Pineapple Kugel
-Cous Cous Salad
-Hummus
-Roasted Veggies (Eggplant, Carrots, Onions, Yams, Garlic)
-Delicious Challah
-And the grand finale: Make your own pizza bar! Using pita, amazing homemade tomato paste, mozzarella, feta, tomatoes, white wine mushrooms, anchovies, and peppers.
Dayim M'od!!! (So yummy!!)


Amy, Sarah, Anna, Alana at Gagos Rooftop Bar. Amazing Day/Night!
Saturday morning was clean up and preparation to leave. Our group split up again. Anna, Amy, and I headed off on a short journey to Ra'anana. Such a cute little town. There is nothing more I can say besides, BALAGAN! (Chaos). We went to a grand opening of a rooftop bar with a group of Anna's Israeli friends. Such a good time.




The weekend was amazing, the weeks ahead are going to be even better.

3 comments:

  1. Come visit, I'll be for a year! (Maybe longer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing! I love following. Can't wait to see you in April when we visit!

    fyi - "Ta-eem me'od", not dayim. It's hard understanding Israelis who don't even know how to speak properly themselves! I can't wait to speak to you in Hebrew!

    ReplyDelete