Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Settling.

Sometimes we spend so much time with each other, I walk outside and feel like I ALMOST forget that I'm in Israel. A good and a bad thing. It's good because the twenty-four Americans in my program are forming friendships and bonds on an everyday basis. Bad because we are not letting ourselves immerse into the culture. I realize it is every individuals job to do this. It has now become a point for me to get more acquainted with my neighbors and other Israeli's. I want to feel part of an Israeli community.

My roommate, Ellana.
As for the time we have spent together, the roof top of our apartment complex has been a prime location. Our group was finally complete with everyone arriving here safely and a having a party on the terrace this past Shabbat was definitely in order. Lots of drinks, lots of fun. 

 EFL Training has been quite the opposite this week. Some lectures are so boring that my whole body hurts. It sounds dramatic, I know, but it's true. I do understand how important and special it is that we have this opportunity and preparation before we enter the classroom, but the days are long.



Some of the players of the Netanya D1 Basketball Team.

Last night Amy, Anna, and I went to the Netanya basketball team's scrimmage. So awesome! The team is made up of Israeli's, Americans, all different men. Watching the basketball was fun, watching the men....even more fun.

Israel Pathways is the hub to four programs, Israel Teaching Fellows - Netanya (the program I am in), Israel Core (a volunteering program), Israel Path (Hiking the path from the North to the South of Israel), and Zoom Israel (a photography and graphic design program). Today we spent our time with the Zoom Israel group in a lecture about "Volunteerism." Also boring, but nice to meet new people. Random, but I met Lauren who is also from Las Vegas and also went to Cimarron-Memoral High School (exactly where I went to H.S.)! She graduated '08 and me '07. I have never met her before and she didn't look familiar, but I was shocked. You rarely meet other Vegas folks, but CMHS of all places!? Insane.

Our meeting with the Mayor in the local newspaper!
Ya'rushalaim (Jerusalem) is the weekend plan. I am SO excited. It is such an amazing city. Bless Amy and her family, they have an apartment right in the Old City and she invited a group of us to stay. Cookin', drinkin', and relaxin' - that's the game plan.

L'hitraot!

1 comment:

  1. this sounds amaze balls. I am so envious of you, it sound like you are having a ball. I miss you to pieces

    ReplyDelete